Casual World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Casual World

This is a place where people can come together and be...Well, casual. Make friends, make enemies and make pie!. Okay, no pie but theres friends, enemies and much, much more!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Has anyone heard of a band called 'Elbow'? They're my favourite!

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

mariosuperlative

mariosuperlative
Admin
Admin

A catchy tune, more rocky than most of theirs.

Grounds for Divorce: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL4mywCOJXA

I would post the youtube video, but I don't properly know how...
Other great songs...

A great one with good lyrics.

The Fix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ahJIL_Aw5o

And my favourite...

One Day Like This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfVejpYc8Zc&feature=related

Please post comments on what you think of them, and tell me how to do the youtube video embedding properly.

Basically, this band fall into the alternative genre, similar to Snow Patrol, Coldplay and The Killers.

amanningman88

amanningman88
Admin
Admin

the killers?
dude, thats not even close to the killers.
although they are good, coldplay is better.
although i shouldnt talk because the last time a big singer or band came out of canada was the guess who of 1967 (who sucked).

mariosuperlative

mariosuperlative
Admin
Admin

Yeah, fair point with The Killers.

But you know what I'd say? Yeah, Coldplay are good, but Elbow are better. That's what I think. At least you don't hate them like most people.

amanningman88

amanningman88
Admin
Admin

mariosuperlative wrote:Yeah, fair point with The Killers.

But you know what I'd say? Yeah, Coldplay are good, but Elbow are better. That's what I think. At least you don't hate them like most people.
No, I don't hate em.
British bands amuse me. Especially their names.

mariosuperlative

mariosuperlative
Admin
Admin

Why do they amuse you? Besides the frankly bizarre names, of course. I think they're better than Green Day-although GD have some real classic songs.

amanningman88

amanningman88
Admin
Admin

mariosuperlative wrote:Why do they amuse you? Besides the frankly bizarre names, of course. I think they're better than Green Day-although GD have some real classic songs.
Naw, green day is so unbritish and it pwns all british bands.
And so does dragongorce and guns and roses
And every rapper alive
*points to avitar*

mariosuperlative

mariosuperlative
Admin
Admin

Green Day is classic. Your other bands, in my opinion, aren't as good as Elbow. And your statement of every rapper is a great insult. I guess ma taste is just more sophisticated than yours! Ha! (taking intellectual highground) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I'm listening to The Beatles right now. Also on my Media Player is Beethoven Symphony 3, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9. And The Best of John Williams, a film composer who mostly does Stephen Spielberg. I have David Bowie. And of course Elbow. I haven't gotten around to a Green Day, but I'd like one.

Best instrumental openings to songs ever.

-One Day Like This: beautiful
-American Idiot: awesomely rocky

amanningman88

amanningman88
Admin
Admin

mariosuperlative wrote:
Green Day is classic. Your other bands, in my opinion, aren't as good as Elbow. And your statement of every rapper is a great insult. I guess ma taste is just more sophisticated than yours! Ha! (taking intellectual highground) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I'm listening to The Beatles right now. Also on my Media Player is Beethoven Symphony 3, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9. And The Best of John Williams, a film composer who mostly does Stephen Spielberg. I have David Bowie. And of course Elbow. I haven't gotten around to a Green Day, but I'd like one.

Best instrumental openings to songs ever.

-One Day Like This: beautiful
-American Idiot: awesomely rocky

You are so steriotipically British it's not funny.
Ok, it is.
How can someone like Beethoven AND green day?
For that matter, how can anyone like Beethoven?
And rap rules. You'd have to experience what I have experienced to know why.

mariosuperlative

mariosuperlative
Admin
Admin

amanningman88 wrote:You are so steriotipically British it's not funny.

A love of The Beatles, David Bowie, Beethoven and film music does not make a British sterotype-plus I hate tea! Razz I also like Weird Al Yankovic, which I neglected to mention, and of course, Greenday, who are kind of not British.

amanningman88 wrote:How can someone like Beethoven AND green day?

I'm not some big classical music buff. I don't drool when I see a new Beethoven recording, and snatch it up, desperate to try it out. I don't listen intently to see any subtle differences in it, I don't pick up on the underlying tunes and the nature of the music's texture, I just freaking listen. And I dislike Mozart, finding him not bold enough, not dramatic enough, not powerful enough. My like for Beethoven is similar to my like of rock, I enjoy the sheer dramatic quality of music. I also love quiet, sometimes haunting songs, like the Schindler's List theme, Moonlight Sonata, Yesterday...I can go on.

amanningman88 wrote:For that matter, how can anyone like Beethoven?
And rap rules. You'd have to experience what I have experienced to know why.

Now you're just starting to be cocky and irrespective of opinions. Did it ever occur to you that there is no such thing as having "the truth" as an opinion? Relate to my largest paragraph about why I like Beethoven...well, I didn't explain it too well. I like the dramatic combination of instruments and the music's sheer power. Rap doesn't "rule", nothing has any inherent value. Particularly with you being a mod, I would appreciate it if you didn't insult others. Username6, here I come to report...just joking. Just cool it and respect your fellow Casuals, please.

amanningman88

amanningman88
Admin
Admin

mario... i really didnt insult you once.
I happen to love weird al, for the first thing.
second, i love british people. wish there were more of them.
Third, I didnt insult you. I'm just saying that unless you go through what some of these rappers went through (which I have), you will not get the deeper meaning behind the music.
In classical music, it is easy for an intelligent person (which I think you are) to see the underlying meaning behind it.
It is not so in rap. Many intelligent people shun it, because being intelligent, they have not had to experience what the rappers have experienced.
By the way, about that "i dont drool every time I see a new Beethoven recording"... Beethoven hasnt made a new reording in hundreds of years clown

Zerzavy

Zerzavy

this topic is SOOOOOOOOOO close to being locked

mariosuperlative

mariosuperlative
Admin
Admin

Zervavy wrote:this topic is SOOOOOOOOOO close to being locked

[justify]Don't wanna mod fight, mate. If you lock it, I'll get annoyed, delete, and I'll get angry. We're not wasting any space, there's not even two pages of topics, and this isn't harming anybody. If I could change the title to "discussions about music genres" I would.

amanningman88 wrote:In classical music, it is easy for an intelligent person (which I think you are) to see the underlying meaning behind it.

Gah! I've liked classical music since I was 11! But thanks for the compliment anyhow, and no, I'm not intelligent, I'm above average. There are three or four people in my class either as or more intelligent than me.

amanningman88 wrote:By the way, about that "i dont drool every time I see a new Beethoven recording"... Beethoven hasnt made a new reording in hundreds of years clown

I've been waiting for you to slip up like that! Well, I haven't. I meant a new conductor taking on a Beethoven Symphony and selling it. There's loads of different ones, Leanord Bernstein, Herbert Von Karajan...that's what I mean. And Beethoven never made a recording, they didn't have the technology. So, I get the last clown

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum